Fleet Racing, in the SI the alternative penalty was changed to a single "360" turn.
Yacht B infringes Yacht A, on pre-start side of the line, after Prep but before Starting signal. Yacht B is then OCS.
Yacht B bears away and gybes around the pin, and then starts by tacking to cross the line
Yacht B claims that not only does this maneuver return her to pre-course side of the line, but also that it counts as her "360" alternative penalty.
- I believe that a yacht must start before taking alternative penalty… is this true ?
- If a yacht can take an alternative penalty before starting, can this single maneuver to return to pre start side of the line also serve as alternative penalty ?
Thought some more info might be useful:
With 30 seconds before start signal,
- Yacht A was approx 3 lengths behind the line, some 2 lengths "above" the pin; Holding position, waiting for right moment to accelerate towards start, making 1 to 1.5 kts
- Yacht B was some two lengths to windward of Yacht A
- Yacht C was further two lengths to windward of Yacht B
- All yachts on Starboard tack
- Yacht B bore away and passed astern of Yacht A
- Yacht B then luffed, becoming right of way (leeward) yacht, immediately demanding that yacht A had been given room and opportunity, and that Yacht A as windward boat must keep clear
- Yacht B now moving significantly faster than Yacht A. Yacht A still holding station, 1 to 1.5 knots
- Yacht B made contact with Yacht A, on Yacht A's leeward side
- Yacht B continued past Yacht A, and crossed the start line early
- Yacht B bore away, and gybed around the pin, returning to pre-start side of the line
- Yacht A started correctly
- Yacht B continued up the start line on port tack, bringing in her main, in preparation for tacking on to Starboard
- Yacht B tacked on to Starboard
- Yacht A saw that Yacht B was on Starboard tack, a boat length to windward of Yacht C
- Yacht B fouled Yacht A (not giving room to keep clear),
- Yacht B was OCS,
- Yacht B returned to course side correctly,
- Yacht B did not complete alternative penalty correctly, as she sailed up the line pulling on her mainsail in preparation for tack onto Starboard; her 360 was not a continuous motion
I realize that you can't put a picture of your diagram in the comments box. Please send them to the mail address (see sidebar widget CONTACT) and I'll post them together.