Wednesday 16 July 2008

Skutsjesilen 2008

All of you who are into sailing, who know a little about my home country and the region I live, must know about this annual event: "Skutsjesilen"

Last weekend the SKS started their series in nearly perfect conditions and we had three days of very exciting sailing. I've found a small video on you tube which captures a little how these big barges are sailed:


You can hear the starting gun at the beginning, at the end the boats are recalled because of a general recall...

The racing rules have been changed for these races, to better fit the temperament of the barges, to better accommodate tradition and because the men who sail, are stubborn old traditionalist who don't want anybody else understand what they are up to....

Nevertheless the racing is very popular in my neck of the woods for each barge sails for a town or region.

To top of that, the commentator on local radio who does the daily racing reports is very very enthusiastic and passionate. It comes trough and makes it more exciting. I listen to him working at my desk in the afternoon and keep wishing, I was where he is.....

More on Skutsjesilen.nl (but only in Dutch)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...