Oct 28th, 2008
My sister yacht club is planning to conduct a big boat regatta. The regatta consists of three inshore races and one offshore race during three days.
There is a problem about the offshore race. The estimated course of the offshore race is as follows;
Race area ----- Pacific Ocean, the Kii Channel to the bay of Osak;
Course configuration ----- Start - Turning point mark – Finish
- Starting area ----- Place: near the shore, Starting line: between RC boat and a buoy
- Turning point ----- Place: at the middle of the Kii Channel, Mark: RC boat is set up
- Finishing area ----- as same as the Start area
Sailing Instructions about the Turning point as follows;
- The round mark at the middle of the Kii Channel will be a RC boat displaying flag M and shall be left to port.
- Boats shall leave the round mark within 500 meters distance from the mark.
- When course is shortened at the mark, the RC boat will display flag S. Boats shall finish the imaginary line which is drawn in zero (0) degrees direction indicated by magnetic compass from the staff displaying flag S on the race committee boat.
- At the point of round mark, the depth is very deep and also the tide is strong.
- It is all the RC boat can anchor at the point and the RC wants to evade to set up the other mark as possible as it can.
- Case 45
Question; will such SIs follow the RRS?
Sen, I don't think there's anything in the rules which states there must be a 'pin-end' finishing mark. But theoretical it would then be an unending line and - as one of the International Judges I talked to about this, suggested - it could go round the globe and not end until it comes back to the RC boat. Which would make finishing on the other side also correct according to the rules.... Well, that is not something we would want.
I suggest the following amendment to the text in the SI:
- When course is shortened at the mark, the RC boat will display flag S. The finish line will be a line in zero (0) degrees direction indicated by magnetic compass from the staff displaying flag S on the race committee boat. Boats shall cross this line within a distance of 500 meters from the RC boat, leaving the RC boat to port. This changes RRS 32.2
Any other opinions? Feel free to comment.