- Yellow, Green and Blue, all Finns in Race 3 on Course E with 2 Beaufort and calm Sea, all approaching the leeward mark (4) on Port Tack.
- Yellow entered the 2 LZ when Green was 4 BL and Blue 6 BL astern.
- There were several boats in front of Yellow, with very low speed, rounding the mark.
- Yellow luffed beside the mark, inside the 2 BL zone, to head to wind.
- Green entered the 2 BL zone with Blue 1 BL astern
- Yellow passed head to wind and bore off.
- Green sailed a course between Yellow and the mark
- Yellow gybed when Green's bow was next to the mark
- Green rounded the mark, Yellow luffed to a reach
- Green passed the mark, Blue sailed a course between Yellow and the mark
- Yellow luffed to close hauled, Blue also luffed very hard and hit the mark
- There was contact between the starboard front end of Yellow and the port front side of Blue, no damage.
- Both Yellow and Blue protested, no two rounds penalty were taken by either boat.
The reason that Yellow didn't round the mark when she first arrived, was that there were a couple of boats parked there, and rounding at that moment for Yellow would have taken her a long way round, with the added disadvantage that she would have come out leeward of them as well. Instead Yellow decided to wait and do a circle inside the two lengths zone next to the mark. The panel I was in, all but decided - including me - that Blue had broken 18.2(c) , when one, who also was an IU, asked: What about Yellows tack?. Yellows tack? He entered clear ahead.... but wait, you are right, he did a full circle including a tack and a gybe.
Can you figure out who was disqualified?