Friese Hoekrace 2006; Protest 7:
- In calm sea with 4 Bft wind, two 20 m barges approach the windward mark in Race x
- Yellow on starboard approximately 1/2 boat length beyond the lay line at about 5 BL from the mark Blue on port at a distance of two BL from Yellow, approximately six BL from the mark.
- Blue completed its tack to starboard at a distance of 2,5 BL from the mark on the lay line.
- Yellow was windward and overlapped with Blue at a distance of 0,5 BL and half of her hull in front.
- Yellow entered the 2 BL zone with Blue to leeward overlapped half a BL with a sideways distance between the boats of 7 meters.
- After her stern had passed the windward mark, Yellow changed course towards the next mark by bearing away. Distance from the mark was 20 meters.
- Blue, sailing between Yellow and the mark, luffed and changed course to windward.
- Blue made contact with her bow with Yellow on its rear port side.
- Yellow sustained serious damage.
- After clearing Yellow retired and Blue finished the race.
Conclusion and rules:
- Blue completed her tack outside the two BL Zone.
- Yellow entered the two BL zone with Blue as inside overlapped boat. Yellow as windward boat was keeping clear of Blue leeward boat and gave enough room.
- Next to the mark Blue, as ROW boat, changed course and failed to give Yellow room to keep clear, and infringed rule 16.1.
- Yellow as windward boat was not keeping clear and broke rule 11, but is exonerated because of Blue’s infringement of rule 16.1
- Because there was damage, Blue also broke rule 14, she could have prevented the collision.
- Yellow could not reasonably possible avoid the collision.
Blue is DSQ for race x