Conclusion and rules that apply
Boat X broke rule 42.1, Propulsion. She did not compete, using only the wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her speed, by holding on to the anchor line of the committee boat.
Boat X also broke rule 45 for the same reason. She made fast but not to bail out, reef sails or make repairs. She did not anchor (herself) or stand on the bottom.
She is not penalized under rule 31.1. The anchor line of a mark is not part of the mark itself (see definition Mark)
Boat X DSQ
Next question: Again, in a valid Protest, the following facts were found:
- Cadet 800 on Port, beam reaching below the starting line and Cadet 900 close hauled on Starboard on a collision course, approximately 3 minutes before their starting signal.
- 800 did not see 900 until the last moment when 900 calls "STARBOARD!"
- 800 bears away hard, to try to pass astern of Cadet 900
- 900 tries to avoid collision by luffing hard when boats are about half a meter apart
- There is contact with serious damage to Cadet 900 (a hole in side port stern quarter)
- Cadet 900 capsized after the incident, but after righting, cannot continue and goes to shore
- Cadet 800 starts and sails the race.